Aller à : contenu haut bas recherche
EN     FR
Vous êtes ici:   UNIL > HEC Inst. > HEC App. > SYLLABUS


Analytics in Operations Management

  • Teacher(s):   V.Lurkin  
  • Course given in: English
  • ECTS Credits: 3 credits
  • Schedule: Spring Semester 2022-2023, 2.0h. course (weekly average)
  •  sessions
  • site web du cours course website
  • Related programmes:
    Master of Science (MSc) in Management, Orientation Marketing

    Maîtrise universitaire ès Sciences en management, Orientation Behaviour, Economics and Evolution

    Master of Science (MSc) in Management, Orientation Strategy, Organization and Leadership

    Master of Science (MSc) in Management, Orientation Business Analytics
  • Permalink:




This master course focuses on the application of analytical methods to study and analzye operations management problems.

In this course, we will cover problems that arise because of a mismatch between demand and supply, with respect to their timing and/or their quantities.

At the end of the course, students are expected to:

  • Understand how and when analytical methods can be applied to solve operations management problems.
  • Understand the mathematical modeling behind these problems.
  • Solve these models using various operations management tools.
  • Analyze the results and draw lessons for the operational management perspective.

The course is given in Anthropole 3077 on Tuesday morning from 8:30 to 12:00 during the last 7 weeks of the semester.

Each session starts with a lecture of around 1:30/2h and is followed by a lab session of 1:30/2h.

Students need to bring their computer to class.


The course is organized around the following OM topics:

- Deterministic inventory problems

- Stochastic inventory problems

- Scheduling on a single machine

- Scheduling on a parallel machine

- Job shop scheduling

- Batch scheduling


The 4th Edition of Matching Supply with Demand: An Introduction to Operations Management by Gerard Cachon and Christian Terwiesch.


The optimization and operations management courses from the bachelor program.

Experience with programming is needed.


First attempt

Written 1 hours
Not allowed

A written exam accouting for 30% of the grade will be organized during the last week of the semester. For the remaining 70%, students will have to work in groups on a project.


Written 1 hours
Not allowed

The students who failed (<4) will have to redo a written exam and work (in groups if possible) on a new project.

[» go back]           [» courses list]

Internef - CH-1015 Lausanne - Suisse  -   Tél. +41 21 692 33 00  -   Fax +41 21 692 33 05
Swiss University